St. Mark’s was chartered in 1945 and the first worship service was held on December 2, 1945 in the old Zach White Elementary School building that still stands across Doniphan from White Spur Park in El Paso’s Upper Valley. A total of 104 persons became members of St. Mark’s in its first year, and on August 4, 1946 many of them stood in the middle of a cotton patch and broke ground for a sanctuary.
The new building on Love Road was first
used for worship on Christmas Sunday 1946.
The church grew as families moved to the Upper Valley.
An education wing was built in 1959 and in 1987 a two-story education building was completed.
A new. larger sanctuary was built in 1977.
In 2003 the Springstead House (a half-gym with two classrooms) was built for the school.
From the very beginning, St. Mark’s has had a reputation for outreach in the Upper Valley community. St. Mark’s Day School and Early Education program (EE began as Mothers’ Day Out) have always enhanced this outreach and they continue to reflect St. Mark’s commitment to children lived out in ministry to them. Youth fellowship and Christian education change young lives and help to develop Christian leaders. Through a wide variety of local missions, St. Mark’s continues to make a difference in the lives of people who have not yet come through our church doors.
Founded in 1965
At St. Mark’s Elementary and Middle School’s “It is our mission to provide students with a quality education in an atmosphere of a caring community of faculty, staff, parents, and church. Within this Christian environment, students will be encouraged to achieve their full academic, spiritual, moral, and physical potential.”